Sleep is a variable which effects many of us while on the road to becoming great entrepreneurs. Cutting your sleep however can bring up a lot of questions about health and your efficiency while awake.I commonly get 5-7 hours of sleep a night and reserve Saturdays and Sundays for 7 to sometimes 10 hour sessions depending on what’s going on (and what I was doing the night before).
I wanted to show you all a study I recent stumbled into online, my thoughts, and ways you can reduce sleep time with little or no side effects. The graphs at the bottom of it is particularly what I was interested in: Sleep Less Live Longer.
- The first thing that occurred to me when looking at the graphs was that normal and healthy people were probably the majority thus meaning their death rate was lower. Its my assumption that they are typically working family members which have 9-5 jobs and only have time for 6-7 hours of sleep each night.
- As opposed to a smaller percentage of the population with a disease/virus, illness or similar ongoing problem. These people more often than not require more sleep because their body needs rest to repair and function normally while awake. Naturally they will have a much higher fatality rate because of their illness.
- If anything, this study shows there isn’t much harm if you cut your sleep back from 8 hours a night to 6 or 7. Worst case is it does nothing at all.
I’m constantly on the lookout for ways to cut corners with sleep while improving quality and speed of falling asleep in the first place. Tim Ferris (Author of: The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich – great read) spoke about this in on of his blogs. To summarize:
- Eat low-glycemic index foods before bed
- Take an Ice Bath
- Consistent eating schedule
- Take caffine naps
- Create closure to your day
Read more about these things at his blog: 5 Steps To Hacking Your Sleep.
From my own research I’ve found laying on your side is one of the best positions because your sleep is less interrupted when breathing is less restricted then if you were on your stomach or back. It also more naturally aligns the spin which prevents the need for some people to toss and turn at night. Another words if you have a cantankerous cat that likes to sleep on your stomach, you may not be getting the most efficient sleep possible.
Unfortunately there is no such thing as auto circadian rhythm (A method of meditation which allows you to get a full nights rest in a fraction of the time – If you’ve seen the show Alias you’ll understand where that comes from).
Also, I haven’t named the cat yet (after a month of having her), any suggestions? If I use the name you suggest I’ll plug your site/blog in an upcoming post.
Entrupeners, Subscribe for the lastest tools, tips, and tutorials.