Others use it to find out if their site gets hacked.
However, as an internet marketer, there are several other things you can do to make this tool worthwhile
Increase Traffic, Branding, And Income
I wouldn’t be the first to tell you that involving yourself in your niches community is how you’ll ultimately get ahead. Especially while building your brand. Gary Vaynerchuk preaches this in all of his keynotes.
If you’re familiar with the concept behind products like Fast Blog Finder (which has a pretty nice free version) then using Google alerts for the same sort of purpose is the same thing.
The biggest difference between using Fast Blog Finder and Google Alerts is that you’re tracking current blogs, groups, videos, and web content. Not an article that’s been sitting out there for the past 5+ years.
- Increase traffic to your blog – Leave a relevant comment about something that you talk about regularly. If you have a few series posts or a favorite category/subcategory that you’re always talking about, then who better than YOU to make a comment about it on another blog as soon as it appears on the internet.
- Branding – Associate your name in your niche. If you’re always the first one the comment on a new post for the topic you’re interested in then you must be an authority right?! Just make sure you’re leaving useful comments. Show off what you’re passions are!
- Eliminate competion – If you’re selling a product or service in a niche where you have 2 or 3 close competitors then this is perfect. Set an alert for their product name. As soon as someone posts about your competitors product, there you are. Showing up just in time to say “hey, have you tried XXX yet”?No one needs to know you own the product. Just mention it and contribute to the article accordingly. Try to avoid “pushing” your product. Especially if your site exemplifies front and center why your product is better than your competitors. All you need is the first link. If anyone is really in the market for your services, they’ll click through and do their own comparison.
If you’re starting to setup your alerts then you’ve probably missed some recent stories you could jump on right now.
Take a look at these pages:
Apply the following rules when running a search:
- Put your search in quotes
- Use the “Sort By Date” option to show most recent posts.
- Experiment with your search phrase. For example “World Of Warcraft Guides” Does not cover as many potential opportunities as “Warcraft Guides”.
Better to setup too many alerts and delete them later if you’re unhappy with results.
- Use 2 email addresses. Use one email address for testing and trial/error alerts.
- Use the other one for when you’re ready to sit down and focus on commenting.
- You can associate your Google account with two emails. Use the accounts page to add additional email accounts.
Entrupeners, Subscribe for the lastest tools, tips, and tutorials.