What does your front line of spam protection look like? Still spending more than 5 minutes a day weeding through it? I’m not… Over the past month or so I’ve been posting about spam prevention and automated methods for putting anti-spam techniques in place. In them I pass on my ideas, experimentations, and existing samples when implementing anti-spam techniques. Here is a summary of the articles in this series:
- 5 Ways To Catch And Prevent Website Form Spam – The basics. Checking data using conventional methods such as:
- An introduction to CAPTCHA.
- $_SERVER[‘HTTP_HOST’] – (Script/domain execution check).
- $_SERVER['REUEST_METHOD'] – (POST vs GET).
- Escaping data input.
- Use of regular expressions.
- Enhanced Numbered Equation CAPTCHA – Killing Web Spam – A different approach to creating a CAPTCHA. And this time you don’t need GDlibrary or image generating software. Its actually a very simple script that seem to throw off spammers quiet well. You can easily add on to this script to create something much more complex.
- Automating PHP Forms – Spam Filtering and Data Cleansing – Data cleansing doesn’t have to be so time cosuming. Automate your field usage throughout many forms, or a single large form. Validating unique fields such as Email, or a URL or a Name field, are all just as easy and can be modified on the fly for all instances through a site or on a case by case basis. The function I created here utilizes regular expressions. (ya, its hard to get away from them and still keep the code just as short).
- Automated Anonymous Spam Filtering and Validation – Focusing more around a comments system (or anonymous input), here’s a few ideas that I’ve tested out in the past. Categorize your needs based on acceptable posts, questionable posts, and posts that are clearly spam.
- How Akismet And Defensio Create Another Line Of Spam Defense – When all else fails, a last line of defense might mean the integration a 3rd party service as a last line of defense. Here are two good free options which will help you control spam on a blog, or when you develop your own site. This goes through some of the quirks of using Akismet vs. Defensio.
Spam will only be a problem if you let it be. If your starting a project, always consider the precautions you’ll need to take which will save you endless amounts of time in the future.
Entrupeners, Subscribe for the lastest tools, tips, and tutorials.